The Green Energy Solutions Club
The Green Energy Solutions Club focuses on the means by which different forms of green and renewable energy are collected and used. The short-term goal of the club is to help VCS become Santa Clara County Green Certified. Students research the rigorous program standards for conserving resources, preventing pollution, and minimizing waste, and they evaluate whether VCS is in compliance with all environmental regulations.
The club’s long-term goals are to empower Valley Christian Junior High and High School students to become effective leaders and take ownership of the environment, as well as to promote the school to “Green Ribbon Distinction” status as recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. By focusing research and education on solar panels, wind energy, waste reduction, and biofuel, the club works to design a solution that will move VCS to both renewable energy and energy efficiency models.
Students will achieve the following:
- Gain practical experience in the areas of teamwork, research, and applying scientific processes
- Collaborate with solar companies to learn more about green technologies
- Design a Green Certified solution for VCS to conserve resources such as energy and water
- Reduce VCS’s carbon footprint by using new environmental tools and emerging technologies
- Effectively collaborate with waste companies to learn new waste management technologies for waste diversion, recycling, and composting
- Develop important stewardship skills to become responsible caretakers of the Earth