Student Support Services
Recognizing that each student is uniquely created by God, endowed with a variety of talents and skills, and capable of learning, we believe it is our responsibility to offer specialized programs that enable all students to reach their fullest potential.
The Student Support Services Program at Valley Christian High School serves students who have been identified as having cognitive, medical, psychological, or physical conditions that may interfere with their academic performance. The learning and physical disabilities of these students are fully documented by the appropriate professionals. This documentation provides the staff with a clear definition of a student’s strengths and weaknesses and will facilitate the development of an appropriate academic support plan. The Student Support Services counselor works with a potential student and his/her family during the admission process to determine if Valley Christian High School is an appropriate placement. The goal of the Student Support Services Program is to support students with special needs during high school in order to prepare them to succeed in college and the workplace.
The Student Support Services program is not a pullout or resource program, and does not include remedial special education classes. Thus, the needs of students with severe learning disabilities cannot be met through this program. The student who is best served through Valley Christian’s Student Support Services program is one who is able to succeed in a college-preparatory program with accommodations in the mainstream classroom and can self-advocate their needs to teachers with support. The typical classroom accommodations we can provide are as follows:
- Extended time for assignments and testing
- Use of the Student Support Testing Center
- Preferential seating
- Teacher Notes
- Use of assistive technology and appropriate software programs such as Kurzweil when appropriate
- Alternative setting for testing
- Use of appropriate visual aids
The Student Support Services counselors at VCHS works collaboratively with the teachers, parents, and the students themselves in order to develop individualized academic support plans for students with identified learning differences or other conditions that require accommodations and/or modifications to the regular curriculum in order to facilitate academic success.
- Annual development of a personalized academic support plan
- Submission of an application for Extended time on SAT, ACT, and other standardized testing
- Accommodations and/or modifications to the curriculum when deemed appropriate
- Referrals to clinicians, tutors, and outside agencies specializing in learning differences
Who qualifies for these services
- Students who have been assessed by a licensed educational psychologist and/or a medical professional, and have been diagnosed with a learning disability or other handicapping condition
- Students who are currently experiencing academic difficulties and may be considering further assessments to identify learning disabilities
If you have a student who may fit the above criteria, and they are interested in attending Valley Christian High School, please contact:
Abra Martinez, Student Support Services Counselor, (408) 513-2537, or firstname.lastname@example.org